Monday, June 22, 2015

Discovery


This recent linocut of the Ugly Duckling and his siblings discovering water for the first time is my entry for Susanna Leonard Hill's illustration contest. If you are an illustrator, go check out the contest on her blog!

Here is more of The Ugly Duckling text by Hans Christian Anderson:

The following day, the weather was glorious, and the sun shone brightly on all the green burdock leaves. The mother duck came down to the water with her entire family and jumped in with a splash. "Quack, quack," she said, and one after another the ducklings leaped in after her. The water closed over their heads, but in an instant they were back up again, floating along beautifully. Their legs paddled along on their own, and now the whole group was in the water- even the ugly gray duckling joined in on the swimming.

18 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I've always been too chicken to try linocut; you make it seem so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And one of my favorite stories, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Stacy, Teresa and Cathy! I appreciate your nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You already know I love your work! :) Beautiful piece, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dow! You know I love yours too. And your smiling happy self!

      Delete
  5. Good luck, Jill! You know I love this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! This is gorgeous, Jill! As I'm sure you know, I'm no artist and know nothing about art, but I know this is beautiful and I love it! :) Thanks so much for joining in the contest fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanna! It's nice to meet you through your blog. And thanks for hosting a fun contest!

      Delete
  7. There is so much to love about this! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun illustration, and your medium and colors draw us in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh! So jealous of your talent. This is super beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Mishka, Michelle and Joanne! I appreciate the comments!

    ReplyDelete