Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Two Museums

While in Santa Fe we didn't have much time to be tourists and look at artwork, but we did walk around the Plaza and go to two museums.

The first was the International Folk Art Museum. I love that place! My favorite exhibit had colorful woodblock prints from Brazil. They also had a table set up in the room where you could stamp with woodblocks and do rubbings by laying paper over the top and rubbing with a crayon.



The two prints above are by Ivan Borges.


There was a room full of large wooden carved animals. 



The Japanese kite exhibit was amazing. Here is my friend Clara standing in front one of the huge kites.


They also had a table set up where Tessa and I got to make a kite. She really loved the it later when we played outside. 


There's a wonderful kid's play area in the museum. A couple of older boys put on a puppet show for Tessa! 

Then when walking around downtown, we went to the Georgia O'Keefe Museum. The exhibit was O'Keefe and Ansel Adams in Hawaii. I love both artists' work. Georgia was such a strong woman and I really admire the way she lived her life. She is one of my heros.


My favorite painting from the Hawaii collection was White Bird of Paradise.


There were paintings and photos from other periods as well. I love this photo of Georgia in her studio. 



They also had a table set up with art supplies from her studio and a large photo of the view outside her window.

We had a lovely time in Santa Fe, both with Laura's bookmaking class and as a family visiting a beautiful town. But as always, it's good to be home!


No comments:

Post a Comment