Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Dummy Update

I was lucky to have a portfolio review with Lauren Rille at the SCBWI Conference. She is an art director at Simon and Schuster who works with the imprints Atheneum Books for Young ReadersMargaret K. McElderry Books  and my favorite, Beach Lane Books

Lauren really understood linocuts because she's worked with Ashley Wolff who created Baby Bear and Beth Krommes who works with scratchboard which is similar to linoleum printing. She suggested I use pattern and texture more in my carving and rely less on paint to finish the image. I liked her ideas and I'm going to try being a little messier as she suggested.

I'm currently redrawing the images in my Our Home dummy. I'm doing the drawings full size, cleaning them up, using some of the pointers I got at the conference, and drawing them with black pencil so they will look good when I print them back out. Then I should have time to finish one more linocut before the Rocky Mountain Chapter SCBWI Conference September 19. But I have other things going on too, and I'm feeling pretty rushed! Wish me luck getting it all done!


No comments:

Post a Comment