Saturday, August 22, 2015

Thoughtful Picture Books

When agents or editors list their preferences in conferences or online the phrase "quirky, funny, character driven picture books" is a common one. That desire for funny picture books with a strong character is so common because they are great to read! You fall in love with the character, you have a good time, you want to read it again. Perfect, right?

But there are so many great books that aren't any of those things. And that seems to be the type of book that I am drawn to creating, so I keep my eye out for them. Have you read a book that was more about a place or an idea than a character? A book that was thoughtful and enlightening instead of funny? I love those books! And that's the type of book that I'm drawing right now. So I wanted to share some favorite picture books from my shelf that are NOT quirky, funny, or character driven, but ARE beautiful, thoughtful, and interesting. Please let me know if there are some you love like this also! 

Wherever You Go by Pat Zietlow Miller and Eliza Wheeler

Look at this beautiful spread below!!! Every page in this book takes you someplace wonderful. I wish I could live in this world created by Eliza Wheeler.



Dream Animals: A Bedtime Journey by Emily Winfield Martin

This is a sweet bedtime book with lovely illustrations by Emily Winfield Martin. My daughter's grandmother gave it to her and we love reading it while snuggling.


Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors by Joyce Sidman and Pamela Zagarenski

This book of poems is illustrated by one of my favorite artists, Pamela Zagarenski. The mood changes throughout the book with the change of seasons and colors.


Sun and Moon by Lindsey Yankey

Lindsey Yankey is a new author/illustrator and I've bought both of her books. She's a brand new favorite! Her artwork is really different and interesting to me, and her stories are thoughtful without being sappy. I also recommend Bluebird by this wonderful artist.


Home by Carson Ellis

I just love Carson Ellis' color palette in this book. Although there isn't a storyline, there are enough other things tying this gorgeous book together that it still works and makes you think about what you love about your own home.


Blue on Blue by Diane White and Beth Krommes

This is a story about weather changes at a family farm near the ocean. There are so many opportunities for the masterful Beth Krommes to show off her beautiful layouts and detailed illustrations.


All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon and Marla Frazee

This is one of the best books ever! Marla Frazee takes on the challenge of illustrating All the World with grace and skill. Thank you for this beautiful book, Marla Frazee and Liz Garton Scanlon!


No comments:

Post a Comment