Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Bad Art Phase

In my last post I mentioned about our cuckoo clock assignment in Lilla Roger's class. I was excited to try some new techniques to see if I could find a way of working that I liked and was quicker than my usual detailed linocuts. I'm happy to say that I did try out some new ideas, but oh boy, did I make some bad art!


I liked the large cuckoo clock drawing that I did, so I carved some stamps for it and also painted some areas with watercolor. At first I thought it was going to look really neat. But it didn't.


I tried a little collage with stamps. Then I tried printing the stamps alone and with watercolor. I have a really bad  stamp-with-watercolor that somehow didn't make it into this photo. Finally I realized that if I was going to have anything to submit by the deadline I'd better go back to what I know and do a linocut. So I simplified my clock drawing and carved the block below. You can see a couple of my color trials above that were ok but not great.


So, very last minute, I repainted the print one more time, got a presentation layout I liked and submitted my cuckoo clock cell phone case. Whew! I'll show you my finished version soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment