Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Book Feast

The library in my small town is the best library in the whole world! It's beautiful, dynamic, friendly, comfy, modern, and has anything you could ever want or they will get it for you if at all possible.

An example of how great my small town library is: The Bud Werner Memorial Library hosts a one day Children's  Book Feast that is a celebration of children's books. This year Caldecott winner, Brian Floca will be here as one of the guests along with Newberry winner, Avi who lives near here and is pretty active as a guest star at the library when they have an event.

And this year, I get to do something fun during the Book Feast, too. There will be a Creativity Fair for the 5 and under kids and I'm going to be helping them do some very basic printmaking: stamping. I haven't done this exact presentation before, so I'm figuring it out as I go along. 


The paintings above aren't done, I'll post photos when they are. I've made simple drawings on full sheets of  paper and I'm painting them with very watered-down acrylic. It acts like watercolor. I'm trying to work fast and not worry about being very precise. These will be the backgrounds for the kids to stamp onto.


And here's my test of the blocks. I got particle board scraps from my lumber store and my husband and I cut a zillion little blocks. The I used Creativity Street Wonderfoam Peel & Stick Sheets to draw and cut these flower shapes out with scissors. The back is sticky, so it's easy to attach the shapes to the block. They soak up stamp pad ink and work really well! I plan to make a bunch of different stamps and 2 or three different background scenes. It's going to be so much fun! 


1 comment: