Monday, September 8, 2014

Repair

I printed one of the linocuts from my Baby Sings dummy and didn't like how it turned out. I can usually print a block with a solid black area using not very much pressure and that creates a lighter textured black. Then I paint over it after it's dried and it looks interesting. But these prints are going on top of a music collage with paste paint. The paint seems to seal the paper and when I print, the ink just sits on top making a heavy and shiny print. I tried to do it lightly so some of the paste paint would show through, but it just looked blotchy. Ick.


So after consulting with my friends, I carved away all of the black. But that left the crib looking strange and awkward to me. Sooooooooo, I decided to pull up some of the linoleum and start over. I've only done this a couple of times ever. I use a lot of glue and once it's dried, the linoleum is really hard to pull up! This is  how it looked:




Then I glued down a new piece of linoleum, transferred the drawing, and carved it.


Here it is carved.


And here it is printed- so much better! It still needs some watercolor, but overall it's a big improvement!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Jill! I love it! Starting over isn't fun, but it can really pay off! :)

    ReplyDelete