Sunday, March 13, 2016

50 Precious Words Writing Contest


Author Vivian Kirkfield has created a fun writing challenge, 50 Precious Words. Can you create a story or poem for children in 50 words or less? It's hard! 50 is so short! But I had to try. I started with a story I'd written that was already short at 150 words and completely rewrote it to get it down to a slim 50. I hope it still has a little charm and makes sense!


Remodeling the Castle

The new dishwasher squeezed into the kitchen. 
We got the box. 
Mae and I magicked it into a castle. 
We added rooms, 
windows,
and towers. 
We grew gardens, 
forests, 
and oceans.
We sailed to the edge of the world,
and into the stars. 

Then the truck brought our new REFRIGERATOR.


And just for smiles, below is a photo of my daughter from a couple of weeks ago working on the interior decoration of her own cardboard castle. We are busy growing the forests and the oceans right now. :)


And below is me with my mom in the olden days!


12 comments:

  1. Perfect! What a brilliant story, Jill! Thank you so much for entering the contest...yours is one of my favorites because it has so many important elements of a good story for kids...and I love the photo of your daughter using her imagination on one of the world's best toys, a big empty box. ;)
    I used to live in Colorado...Colorado Springs for 18 years...we've been to Steamboat Springs...it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vivian- it was fun to try to keep the story concept but get it down to 50 words. And hard to do! Yes Steamboat is a wonderful place to live. We like it here a lot. 😊

      Delete
  2. Jill, Thanks for sharing! I really like the big imaginations of your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love a cardboard box? What a great story with loads of imagination and fun that all kids can relate to! I remember my kids in our appliance boxes (though sadly it's been awhile since I've had a new appliance lol). They always make the best forts! Good luck on your entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those big appliance boxes are awesome! There's a photo of me and my mom playing in one when I was a toddler. And this one in the photo with my daughter is a car seat box with another one attached on top. So fun!

      Delete
  4. Great idea, I love the verb "magicked" and your ending his the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dow & Angela! Nothing is better than a cardboard box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm, what will they do with the refrigerator box? ;) Great story.

    ReplyDelete