Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Ugly Duckling Painted



Here's how the first Ugly Duckling print turned out. I didn't originally know if the central image and the border would fight, but I think they are working together ok!

I've just started carving the second image. I'll post that when there is something worth seeing.


I wanted to share a little inspiration for the style of this linocut. I've always loved doing borders, but they are sort of old-fashioned for illustration. Sometimes I give in though, like in Dreaming of Flowers above.

One of my favorite illustrators who uses a lot of black and is not afraid of decorative patterns and borders is Julie Paschkis. She has a wonderful blog about children's books with several talented friends called Books Around the Table. Here are some of Julie's illustrations:




There's a Czech illustrator named Josef Paleček who I discovered online while poking around. Wow! I just love his colors, textures, and his style. Here are some of his Ugly Duckling illustrations:




And in an older style- Maxwell Armfield. I love the detailed paintings with the ancient style borders and text.





I just wanted to share some of the beautiful illustrations that were stirring around in my head as I created my own version of The Ugly Duckling. Thanks for taking a look!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful - love what is 'stirring around' in your head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I always appreciate you saying hi here!

      Delete
  2. The Ugly Duckling image turned out beautifully! Thank you for sharing Josef's work, too. I love it! I do enjoy the borders for that classic fairy tale or fable feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dow! It feels good to have some new things for my portfolio. Thanks for all of your help!

      Delete