Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Evolution of the World In Print

Any of you that have seen my art over the years may have noticed a theme. I feel silly even mentioning it. It's OBVIOUS. When I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut. Then when I got older I thought about becoming an astronomer. I have lots of books with photos of beautiful star clusters and images of Earth from orbit. My favorite is still The Home Planet edited by Kevin Kelley. It was published in 1988- forever ago! But it has so many wonderful quotes from astronauts around the world. I wish a new version of it could be made.

I'm just starting a new linocut for a poem I'd like to turn into book. I'm hoping it will work as a children's book, but I'm not certain yet until I do some more drawings. Here's the beginning of the block-
















And here are some prints that I've made of Earth in the last 6 or 7 years. I was trying to work out the story I wanted to tell and what it would look like.










And finally I got to a good place with a series of prints of nine views of the planet. Here's North America. I put them together into a hand-made book called Earth that I finished this year.

















In the last couple years I tried some more illustrative versions. I hope the print and story I'm working on now will resolve these latest thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment